Tuesday, September 29, 2009

ACFW Conference

“Write what you know, learn what you don’t, never give up on the dream.” –Tracey Peterson (Foundational Basics workshop)

That’s exactly what the ACFW annual conference taught me. From the idea feeding ground of Donald Maas’ workshop to the awe-inspiring speeches from Debbie Macomber, the conference was an unforgettable experience. It’s been a little over a week since the conference ended, and I’m still slowly absorbing everything that I garnered from that jam-packed weekend.

The great news is that last night I got to sit down and actually start applying the stuff that I learned. Right after the conference, I went to spend a week with my sister. So, I am just now getting around to writing. I found my notes stirred up my muse once again and hit the keyboard at light speed.

Perhaps the greatest thing that happened at the conference, though, was the validation I felt after talking to the editors I met with (and yes, I did get a request for my manuscript!). Too often, I let others tell me how slim the chances of ever getting published are. I let them trick me into wondering if I should be pursuing this dream with such gusto. At the conference, though, I met many other people who have the same struggles. I talked with other professionals who didn’t mind sharing their wisdom. And I met with two people who told me that I was on the right track. God wanted me there, and He will see my destiny come to pass in His time.

I may not ever be published, but I know that friends/family will read my stuff. I write to effect change and if I can make a difference in one person’s life, then I have accomplished the goal in God has set before me.

Of course, I still want to be published.

Over the next couple of weeks, I’ll be posting about specific things that I learned that I hope will help you as well.

God bless.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were going to the conference until I saw pictures with you in them. Congratulations for the request of your manuscript! I'm so glad it was such a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did have a fabulous time, Shauna!

    Thanks, Cindy. Every excited here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts/opinions.