Monday, September 6, 2010

Giving like Jesus

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27

One of my favorite chapters in John is Chapter 14 where Jesus comforts His disciples and then promises them that, even though He is going away, the Father will send the Holy Spirit to teach and guide them.

Do you ever notice how every time you read something, even if you’ve read it a hundred times, something new jumps out at you? I find that especially true when I read the Bible—and the same was true today.

Today it was John 14:27 (copied above). “I don’t not give to you as the world gives.” How does the world give?

I sat back and thought about that. How does Jesus give that differs from the world?

When the world gives, it gives only to those it deems worthy.
Jesus gives because He loves all of us—the saved and the lost.

When the world gives, it holds back, only giving what is necessary.
Jesus gives freely and generously.

When the world gives, it expects something in return.
Jesus gives only desiring a relationship with us.

And if you think about it, throughout His lifetime on earth, Jesus gave, not only to those who believed in Him, but to everyone. From something as simple as providing a meal during a sermon to giving up His life that we may have the opportunity to live, Jesus’ gifts were meant for all.

In our quest to show Christ to the world, we should consciously strive to give as He gave. Give both of our time and our gifts. Give cheerfully. Give without worry, knowing that God will provide for us. If for no other reason, give because He gave His life for us.

3 comments:

  1. Very true. One of the best advices I've received to make a successful marriage is this: Give, forget you gave, and give again. Easier said than done, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful! I thank God for every good and perfect gift that comes from above. We should radiate His heart to pour into the lives of others:)

    Thanks Ralene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! All the most Christ like people I've ever met are givers and not takers.

    Good Post ~Ron

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts/opinions.