Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mini-Review of "Rooms"




I am on page 115 of the novel, Rooms by James Rubart. I had heard so many good reviews about this story that I just had to pick it up. So far it is living up to all the hype.

From Amazon description:

"On a rainy spring day in Seattle, young software tycoon Micah Taylor receives a cryptic, twenty-five-year-old letter from a great uncle he never knew. It claims a home awaits him on the Oregon coast that will turn his world inside out. Suspecting a prank, Micah arrives at Cannon Beach to discover a stunning brand new nine-thousand square foot house. And after meeting Sarah Sabin at a nearby ice cream shop, he has two reasons to visit the beach every weekend.

When bizarre things start happening in the rooms of the home, Micah suspects they have some connection to his enigmatic new friend, Rick, the town mechanic. But Rick will only say the house is spiritual. This unnerves Micah because his faith slipped away like the tide years ago, and he wants to keep it that way. But as he slowly discovers, the home isn’t just spiritual, it’s a physical manifestation of his soul, which God uses to heal Micah’s darkest wounds and lead him into an astonishing new destiny."

There is quite the wide range of reviews on Amazon concerning this novel. Reading through some of them, most of the 1 star ratings come from people who were bitter because they didn't realize ahead of time that it was a Christian novel and felt "duped". Others just missed the entire point of the book and thought it was just about how money/success and God don't mix (which in not what I am getting so far).

Anyway, so I'll keep you updated as I read this book. I hope to finish it this weekend. Have a fabulous day!

4 comments:

  1. Jim will be our keynote speaker at the Inland Northwest Christian Writers conference in Spokane, Washington in March 2011. You should come meet him! He is an awesome author, you will like the book.
    Blessings, Jan Cline
    www.inwchristianwriters.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Cannon Beach. Sounds like an interesting book. Keep me posted. Just might have to add that to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather--Cannon Beach sounds like a fab place to visit. Maybe I'll get to one day!

    Jan--Sure, bring out the green-eyed monster in me! I would love to come, but unfortunately my family will have just made a big move and finances won't permit it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Please tell my your honest thoughts. I have this book and have not picked it up yet. I look forward to hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts/opinions.