Thursday, May 19, 2011

ASK ME Revealed! (Winners, Too!)


I believe that the best way for writers to reach their audience is to be open to vulnerability and the sharing of knowledge, experiences, and all that jazz. So, when I blog, I try to be honest--I don't put on a show if I'm having a bad day, I don't pretend that I agree with everyone, and I don't make excuses for who I am or what I believe.

It is under that statement of connection, that I opened my blog up for questions from followers on Tuesday. In addition to the fun of birthday week, it is a chance for people to get to know me a little bit better.

So, without further ado--here we go!

Aurie asks: What is your favorite state?

As most of you know, I was a military brat who married into the military, so we know that I've been all over. I think my favorite state is Virginia. I love the mountains in the summer and fall, and there is so much to see and do. Plus, my family is there!


Wendy asks: What's one, silly, non-writing talent you'd like to have. (i.e. Being able to stand on your head and drink and entire gallon of milk before you fall over.)

Oh, goodness--can I have that one? I'd be the life of the party! If I knew I wouldn't break anything, I'd love to be able to break dance. I've always found it completely fascinating. Or pop-n-lock. I know, I'm such a nerd!

Sarah asks: What curriculum or curriculums are you currently using? And how does writing fit around schooling?

Alana and Kyra are starting Kindergarten this year. I have most of their curriculum planned out--okay, not planned out, but chosen. Math-U-See Primer for Math, All About Spelling Level 1 for Phonics/Spelling, Etiquette Factory to learn proper manners, ABC Bible Verses for Bible memorization, and Lesson Pathways for Science/Social Studies when the kids are anxious for more! Throw in some arts and crafts, some life skills...and you'll have our homeschool in a nutshell. Oh, and I am big on the Charlotte Mason style of learning.

Writing happens mostly at night from seven on--something my husband and I agreed upon. Blogs/emails/social media happens mostly from 6-8 in the morning, homeschool from 9-11ish, Reviews/Blog writing/articles/etc from 1-3 (during rest/reading time), and then working on my novels happens after 7. I grab what I can get!

Annie asks: What do you like the most about yourself? And what quality do you seek above all else in others?

LOL! We all know how insecure I can be! So to be a little corny, the thing I like most about myself is that I am beloved by Christ. I may not see myself as anyone worth much of anything, but Jesus loves me, cherishes me--who could ask for more?

In others, I value honesty and compassion above everything else.


WINNERS!

Congrats to Wendy! She won C.J. Darlington's Thicker Than Blood from Monday's post!

Congrats to Annie! She won John B. Olson's Shade from Tuesday's post!

The score for the Grand Prize Giveaway is:

Sarah: 60

Annie: 22

Aurie: 30

Wendy: 16

Don't worry! There will be several chances for points next week! Don't forget, if you go follow my new blog/website: www.raleneburke.com, then you'll get 15 more points! Hurry, there's still time to catch up!

Ralene's BeachFest Trivia Question:

Where did I attend college (even though I never graduated)?

6 comments:

  1. LOL!! Loved your answers :)

    Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I won something? My day has been so amazing so far, just one more thing to add to my list. Thank you, Ralene! But YOU'RE the birthday girl. Shouldn't you be receiving gifts, not giving them? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Aurie!

    Annie, what's the fun in celebrating just me? I love my stalkers--er--followers too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy happy birthday, you old lady! today's also my brother's b-day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!

    Thanks for the question answering. Always curious about fellow homeschooling writers. Impressed with the amount of blogging/internet/etc. you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tamara--I'm not old! lol... Happy Birthday to your brother!

    Sarah--It only looks like it takes so much time...really it wouldn't be so long but I am often interrupted...continuously. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts/opinions.